Affordable new housing for low-income families in need
Habitat for Humanity brings people together to build homes, community and hope.
Houston County Habitat for Humanity has a mission to help families avoid making impossible choices between rent and other necessities by providing them with mortgage they can afford. We aim to help families like recent first-time homebuyer, Chimere J. who is raising two sons in a rented trailer home. Growing up in a single parent household, she moved 19 times by the time she was 17 years old. Now a mother, she understands the challenges her mom faced raising her family and has vowed to break the cycle with homeownership. We have a strong need for affordable housing in Houston County, GA:
• Approximately 16.7% of the Houston County population live below the poverty line, a number that is higher than the national average of 13.1%
• Nearly 40% receive government assistance
• Women lead the largest demographic living below the poverty line
• 17,621 Houston County military veterans are living in poverty
• 35.6% of housing is renter occupied and 40% of those renters are cost-burden
We would like to invite you to invest in our goal to ensure that we are able to continue our work in Houston County. Our last homeowner information meeting, held in January resulted in 30 applications, demonstrating the desperate need for affordable housing solutions in Houston County. Your $25,000 gift will directly support:
• The 5 families currently in our pipeline working toward their homeownership opportunity.
• 2 builds that have begun, but were paused because of the pandemic.
• Our plan is to build 18 new homes & repair 115 homes by 2022. We need a total of $1.77 Million to make those plans a reality.
Grants help us sustain and has provided 63 homeownership opportunities in Houston County. Since 1991, we served 91 adults and more than 100 children through new construction and have served over 200 households with repairs. We have never foreclosed on any of our partner families. Fifteen families have paid off their mortgage.
Habitat for Humanity is a leader in providing permanent housing solutions for low-to-moderate income people. We are the only program in the community that provides zero-interest mortgage loans. The sweat equity requirement from the potential homeowner is another unique component of our program that’s not duplicated.
• Habitat's Home Buyer Program
• Habitat's Home Repair and Aging in Place Programs for homeowners needing critical home repair
• Habitat’s Neighborhood Revitalization of Wellston Villas since 2005
• Partnerships with Local Non-Profits, churches and schools to address issues of affordable housing, hunger, education and poverty.
A 2016 Economic Impact Study commissioned by Middle GA State University concerning Houston County Habitat found the following:
• Over 8 million dollars in total economic impact
• Over $600,000 in additional property taxes were paid by Habitat homeowners
• 76 jobs were created
• Over two million dollars spent locally on building material